Monday, April 4, 2011

Still My Baby

My baby isn't a baby anymore.  I guess technically he hasn't been a baby for a while now considering he will be 7 this summer.  But he's still my baby.  My last baby.  There was a certain sadness that came with the realization that he would be my last child.  Then again, I wouldn't want to have another boy.  Not that I haven't enjoyed him completely, I just wouldn't want to take away what he thinks is so special--he's the boy.  As I type this, he's sitting beside me eating a popsicle and watching Harry Potter.  If he paid any attention to what I was doing, I'm sure he would read my post and object.  He pretends to be modest but he's really pretty outgoing.

On the way home today, we were talking about spring pictures.  Our school sends home the entire package of pictures and then you pay for what you want and send the others back.  I can't stand to send back the pictures of my kids because they just through them away.  I never throw away pictures.  I just can't do it.  I was explaining to him that buying all the pictures of him and his sisters would cost me $123, more than I make in a day.  He seemed to understand and thought a minute before asking, "Can you just buy mine?"  He's a pill sometimes.

My sister has a boy that is a few years older.  I remember when I was pregnant with Ethan, she told me that I was going to be shocked to realize that boys are rough and not cuddly like my girls were.  She was partially right.  Her boy is rough and has been embarrassed to be around her since he was old enough to realize she is female.  So far, my baby boy is still sweet, cuddly and charming.  He still climbs up in my lap and snuggles with me.  There are many mornings I wake up with him shoved between my husband and me.  

This is his 2nd year in kindergarten.  That was a big decision and I consulted everyone I could think of before we held him back.  Not that I didn't trust my instincts, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't holding him back so that he wouldn't grow up.  I have a teaching degree, so does my husband so I felt like we were fairly qualified to make that choice but it wasn't the obvious choice.  He did very well in kindergarten last year but he's a July baby.  At the end of the year, he was still immature, but smart.  He doesn't talk completely plain and he is tiny.  I just still saw "baby" when I looked at him.  Ultimately, I know we made the right decision.  He has really progressed this year and I think he has developed into a good kindergartner.  He was pretty bummed when he learned he wouldn't be going to 1st grade with his friends.  We did soften the blow by promising him that he would get his favorite teacher this year (pre-arranged with the principal of course!)  So Ms. Austin made it all ok.  He is still tiny.   I'm sure someday he will grow.  Until then, he's just the right size for my lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment