Thursday, September 22, 2011

Missing: Kitchen. Reward Offered.




My kitchen is missing.  Ok it's really not missing, I know where it is. It's in the middle of my house, buried in boxes and furniture. Yes, I said furniture. At last check, my chair and ottoman were sitting in the middle of my kitchen floor, blocking my access to the stove and sink. My husband moved furniture and (not unpacked) boxes before bed last night. Since the tv guy is coming Saturday to hook up our satellite, he felt the need to actually make room for the tv and find all the equipment. Smart move, bad execution. We were sort of using the living room as a storage room for everything we need to sort through and unpack (and get rid of). Since the tv guy is coming, now the dining room is the box room. And the kitchen is close enough to move stuff into temporarily, hence the reason my chair is in there. Needless to say, cooking dinner is not going to be easy or fun. I need something that is going to be fast, easy and use as few dishes as possible (since I can't get to most of my cabinets right now). Generally when I need something fast we have a skillet meal. Anything qualifies, as long as it all cooks in one pan. Our favorites are breakfast burritos (sausage, egg and cheese) and what I call the Sausage and Veggie Skillet. I created this myself and I do not write recipes very well--it usually ends up being more like instructions. No matter how you read it, it's a delicious and relatively healthy way to have a fast dinner.


Melanie's Sausage and Veggie Skillet
serves 4-6

a splash of olive oil
1 package chicken sausage (I like Johnsonville or Al Fresco), cut into bite-sized pieces
2-3 ears fresh corn, removed from the cob
1 large onion, sliced
1 large bell pepper (any color), sliced
1 package fresh mushrooms, washed and sliced
Your favorite seasoning salt (I like Lawry's, husband prefers Cavenders)

Pour a little olive oil in a skillet and cook the sausage until it's slightly browned and cooked through. Remove from the pan, add a little more olive oil and toss in veggies. Saute until they are as cooked as you want them to be (because some people want them crunchy, some people want them not crunchy). When the veggies are cooked to your liking, add the sausage back into the skillet. Season with salt, pepper or whatever other seasoning you like. 

We just dump some into a bowl and eat it with a fork. It is also pretty good in a tortilla, taco style.  

I have teamed up with Aetna's Healthy Food Fight and She Speaks to spread the message of healthy living and eating in America. The recipe is my own creation :)

SheSpeaksbutton

No comments:

Post a Comment