Tuesday, October 4, 2011

3 in 30 Goals for October

Happy 1st week of October! For us, it means we are *finally* settling in to the "back-to-school" routine. I know. We should've settled in weeks ago but we don't do things like normal families. Truthfully, if we started doing anything at my house you could call traditional, well, I like to think that the people around us would be much less entertained. I know we would be less entertained. I think *normal* would bore us. It's much more fun to be that crazy family that never does anything as expected. But I digress...

The real purpose of this post is to share my 3 in 30 Goals for October. The mathematical equation for 3 in 30 looks something like this:  1 month + 3 goals = 3 new habits. And yes, I realize that equation makes me a little nerdy. I'm good with nerdy.  

3 In 30 Goals for October

1. Drink more water--I do not drink water. Ever. It's not that I don't like water, I just like Diet Dr. Pepper more. I have somewhat desensitized myself to caffeine in that I can drink it at any time of the day or night and not worry about it keeping me awake. But I'm addicted to it so if I don't have it, I get jittery and cranky. Specifically, this month I will swap my afternoon Diet Dr. Pepper with water. Easy enough. I did try this yesterday and I really enjoyed the water. I did wake up with a slight headache this morning, probably caffeine withdrawal, so I won't cut it out completely after lunch but a giant cup of water every afternoon is an improvement. I am also going to have water when I go to a restaurant instead of my normal sweet tea or soda. 

2. Wash, Dry, Fold and Put Away 1 Load of Laundry Each Day--I'm one of those strange people who actually doesn't mind doing laundry. I don't love it, or really even enjoy it, but it's not the worst task on my to-do list. What I tend to do is to put it off until I am completely overwhelmed at the thought of even looking in the laundry room. Then I deny deny deny. In the old house, I could close the laundry room door and pretend it didn't exist until someone complained that they didn't have clean underwear. The new house laundry room doesn't have a door. I can't ignore it now. And to make matters worse, you can see the piles of laundry when you walk from the kitchen to anywhere else in the house. If I just do 1 load each day, I think I can stay afloat. 

3. Have Breakfast and Lunch at Home on Sundays--I know that sounds a little odd. Most Sundays, we rush to church and eat whatever we can grab that's fast for breakfast (cheetos anyone?). For lunch, I never have a plan. We eat out or go to the grocery store for something fast, cheap and easy. I want to plan and cook something for both meals that reflects the day. Besides church, Sunday is the only day of the week that we usually have nothing planned, and nothing pops up at the last minute. It's a relaxing day, except for the stress of last-minute meal planning. I want to have a nice, sit-down, family breakfast and lunch on Sundays. That will require advance planning, maybe some advance cooking. I will surely use the crock pot for at least one of those meals. In the long run, I think it will take the stress out of Sunday and let us focus on God and family. 


That's it! At the end of the month, I will *hopefully* have made 3 new habits. If you would like to join the 3 in 30 Challenge, visit the site and sign-up, link up, and encourage the other participants. 


What are your goals for October?




No comments:

Post a Comment