Monday, October 17, 2011

Blueberry Soup and Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

Last Sunday, I made breakfast before church--which never happens. I had planned to prepare everything before morning but a late night on Saturday kept me out way past my bedtime and I didn't want to cook when I got home!  On Sunday morning, I made Blueberry Soup and Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins. Both were delicious and had the husband and kids asking for seconds. The recipes are below.





Blueberry Soup


1 pound frozen blueberries
1 1/4 cups vanilla yogurt
3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons orange juice concentrate
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
canned whipped topping


In a blender, combine all ingredients except whipped topping. Blend until pureed. Pour into bowls and serve with whipped topping. **My whipped topping can was defective so the topping was runny--same flavor, it just didn't look as pretty**


This recipe was adapted from a Strawberry Soup recipe from Taste of Home. You can find the original recipe here.


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

2 cups canned pumpkin
5 eggs
1/2 cup apple butter
2 1/2 cups + 2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 Tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 bag semisweet chocolate chips


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 muffin tins (24 muffins). In a large bowl, mix the pumpkin, eggs, apple butter, 2 1/2 cups sugar, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and salt until well mixed. Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add into the wet ingredients and mix well. Add chocolate chips and mix in. Divide the batter between the muffin tins. Sprinkle the tops with the remaining sugar. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. 


I adapted this recipe from a recipe I found online at In Erika's Kitchen. I didn't intend to alter the original recipe so much but I found myself lacking some essential ingredients like cooking oil and various spices. I had to make several substitutions but they still turned out good. You can find the unedited version here.


If you make either one of these (or both!), I would love to know what you think of them!




No comments:

Post a Comment