Sunday, March 20, 2011

A very happy birthday

Yesterday our middle child turned 9 years old.  It's hard to believe that she is already 9.  Time really does fly.  She is our unique child.  There is absolutely nothing about her that conforms to what most people would consider *normal*.  Above all, she is pretty smart.  I'm not just saying that because she is mine, she really is smart.  Not necessarily academically smart, she does make good grades but that's not so important to me.  It's her thought processes that amaze me everyday.  We laugh and describe her as random, which is 100% accurate.  She comments on things that the rest of us don't usually think of.  Her teacher (who I am infinitely thankful for!) commented that she seems to think differently than the average 3rd grader.  Concepts that take other children longer to grasp, seem to just come naturally to her.  Again, not necessarily math and spelling, but more advanced concepts like diversity and apartheid.  Honestly, I couldn't care less if she ever learns to spell diversity and apartheid.  If she understands the concepts and impact of them, I will consider her education a success.

For her birthday, she chose to go hiking.  It's something we've been trying to do as a family for a few months.  We have hiked a few smaller trails and we all seem to enjoy it.  It's great exercise--and when I woke up this morning, I realized just how great!  We hiked almost 4 miles yesterday on a moderate to strenuous trail.  Physics and geography tell me that it's impossible for that trail to be uphill both ways, but that one was!  I feel those 4 miles!  We did have a great time and she chose to roast hot dogs and marshmallows for her birthday dinner.  

Next week is spring break for the husband and kids.  In some ways I'm a little jealous that I don't get the week off, but in other ways, I'm glad that I can relax at work!  The husband and kids will the the house picked up and in order and I will come home to dinner every night!  I'm looking forward to summer for the same reasons!  It's hard to imagine that I was a stay-at-home mom for 9 years.  I was home and kept busy.  Now if I miss a day of work, I'm bored and restless.  It's quite a change from a couple of years ago.  I understand how stay-at-home moms sometimes don't understand working moms and vice versa.  I've done both, and cycled through not understanding both!  

Today I am resting.  At least physically I'm resting.  Dustin and I will play Scrabble all day on Facebook.  That's our favorite hobby lately!  I need to catch up on my Bible study before tomorrow's meeting.  I'm a little behind.  I'm reading a great book on women's history that I want to get back in.  I will let Dustin and the kids cook dinner.  I'm going to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment